The Ngāpuhi Rūnanga Group is a collective of four organisations who represent the interests and aspirations of more than 125,000 people who identify themselves as Ngāpuhi.
Te Rūnanga-Ā-Iwi-O-Ngāpuhi is the parent organisation of the Group that includes Ngāpuhi Iwi Social Services, Te Hau Ora O Ngāpuhi and the Ngāpuhi Asset Holding Company.
As a collective, we provide a range of support, advisory services and events to help progress our iwi, hapū, marae and whānau towards a vision where the sacred house of Ngāpuhi stands strong.
Our vision for Ngāpuhi
Kia tū tika ai te whare tapu o Ngāpuhi
That the sacred house of Ngāpuhi stands strong.
Mā te Rūnanga e arahi atu
i te wairuatanga
i te pāporitanga
i te tikanga me te tupu whai hua mō Ngāpuhi
kia hua ai ki te katoa o Ngāpuhi
te mana motuhake me te ora tonu.
We lead the spiritual, social, cultural, environmental and economic growth of Ngāpuhi by ensuring the self-determination and on-going sustainability of our people.
Based in Kaikohe, the Group is firmly grounded in Ngāpuhi tikanga and cultural values with a clear responsibility to enhance the wellbeing of our people and plan a positive pathway forward for Ngāpuhi into the future.
- Lead and support initiatives to promote, facilitate and enhance Ngāpuhi reo, education, youth, mātauranga, arts, environmental health, papakāinga development
- Education scholarships, discretionary, sponsorship and funding support for hapū and marae development
- Manage the iwi tribal register and member communications
- Authentic Ngāpuhi branded clothing and merchandise
- Host of the Ngāpuhi Festival.
Ngāpuhi Iwi Social Services
- NZ’s largest Māori social service provider – for Ngāpuhi, by Ngāpuhi.
- Deliver programmes and provide advice and support for at-risk and vulnerable youth and whānau.
Te Hau Ora O Ngāpuhi
- Leads Ngāpuhi’s health strategy
- Facilitate and deliver important health services for all Ngāpuhi who live in Kaikohe and surrounding areas.
Ngāpuhi Asset Holding Company
- Protect and grow Ngāpuhi’s fisheries settlement assets and essential revenue streams
- Manages and operates Mobil & Paper Plus Kaikohe
- Monitor and prudently invest assets in the most effective and beneficial ways possible for Ngāpuhi.
The Trust Deed for Te Rūnanga-Ā-Iwi-O-Ngāpuhi defines the purpose of Takiwā, to provide an opportunity for any person of Ngāpuhi descent to participate and provide input into the interests of all Ngāpuhi.
There are currently 10 Takiwā in Ngāpuhi:
Takiwā nominate and elect a Trustee to represent them (and broader Ngāpuhi interests) on the Board of Trustees*. Trustees are elected for a term of three years.
Takiwā meet regularly and we encourage all Ngāpuhi to attend and participate in the important kaupapa that are discussed. It’s also a great opportunity to meet other Ngāpuhi whānau.
*Ngāti Hine have voluntarily withdrawn their representation on the Board of Trustees
TE RŪNANGA-Ā-IWI-O-NGĀPUHI BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Te Rōpū Takiwā o Mangakahia
Te Rau Allen
Deputy Chair (Trustee)
Taiāmai ki te Marangai
Ngāpuhi ki Waitematā
Te Rōpū Takiwā o Mangakahia
Ngā Ngaru ki Hokianga
Ngāpuhi Hokianga ki te Raki
Te Rūnanga o Taumārere ki Rakaumangamanga
Ngāpuhi ki te Hauāuru
Te Takiwā o Ngāpuhi ki te Tonga o Tāmaki Makaurau
Te Takiwā o Ngāpuhi ki Whangārei